September 22, 2013

My thoughts won’t give up yet on Camp Higher Ground

Yesterday while waiting for our graduate students, I had a hearty  chat with a colleague at the Department of Social Work on lots of issues and concerns related to our profession, work and dreams including our fairy tale wishes.   Sounds funny, ridiculous or absurd at our age. Yet we have some of these moments probably as part of our stress relieving mechanism.

One of the things we discussed was my dream for the Camp Higher Ground and my seemingly irreligious thoughts on where to get the resources. A week earlier I remembered also talking with a younger faculty at the Department  during our free time with similar topics and  almost the same  fantasies. Very much earlier, or should I say from time to time, I would cherish memories of our previous advocacies and gains  related to the development of Camp Higher Ground and engage in day dream  of an aborted advocacy on Pastors’ Village at the Camp.

One that is complete with  facilities and amenities for  pastors to stay, especially the retired ones so that they will have more time for fellowship while sharing their stories of faith and struggles. In the process, these  are documented for the benefit of younger generations and perhaps as reference for our  theological institutions and legacy of faith. The village can also provide opportunities for them to maintain their productivity and  a venue for interaction with younger ministers and seminarians.  And probably, for them to enjoy the abundant life which had been deprived to some, while waiting for the kingdom come or the eternal bliss whichever happens  first.

Every time I hear or read news about philanthropists who donated huge amount for charity and church-related endeavor, more often for priests, I cannot help but wish that one of these days, there will  be similar blessings for pastors welfare. So that  I would put an end to my irreligious thought of possible resources.

In fact, few months ago, I could not help myself but awed by the gesture of a business tycoon, Ramon Ang,  for  donating  P120 million of his personal funds to the local Jesuit community for  a  multi-story “Jesuit Health and Wellness Center for aging priests who have dedicated their lives to serving Filipinos. Again, I asked myself, when will the time come that such kind of gesture will be directed to our pastors?

Early this morning while doing my regular walking exercise and reflections, I have realized that after  more than three years of being in the side light when my leadership term ended in our  organization. Despite the lull  in succeeding leadership to continue the cause we have collectively and organizationally started, my thoughts won’t give up yet on Camp Higher Ground.


The clarion call we made almost 7 years ago keeps ringing  on my ears. The challenge to reclaim the heritage of the  Camp Higher Ground  as icon of serenity, spirituality and renewal is  still valid. The multifaceted testament of  our KATIPAN Hall project is worth the recall to give us fresh hope. What more, my seemingly irreverent thought of possible funding sources has been added with incredible  wish that a philanthropist somewhere, sometime might read this blog and, in a rare instance, decide to donate his fortune to make our dreams come true. A day dream again? Maybe yes. But am I not a believer of endless possibilities?

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment